Friday, March 4, 2011

True love

I know I've been talking a lot about spinning lately, and it really seems like that's all I've been doing, fibre-wise, but in fact I've had a few projects on the go (including that bally hat, but perhaps the less said about that, the better).

I find it really odd how I can look at a pattern approximately 1,000 times and think, "Meh." And then I look at it for the 1,001st time and suddenly fall completely head-over-heels in love with it. As in, "must cast on right this very second; oh look, I've even got the right yarn in my stash, and the right needles and everything; it must be fated, this project and I belong together forever." And so on.

It happened with the Clapotis (three times, actually), and it happened again recently with another Knitty pattern, Beatnik. For some reason, the first several times I flipped past this one, I was not really that impressed. I do like cabled sweaters, and I love bateau necklines and three-quarter sleeves, and even that shade of dark orange is oddly appealing to me, but at first the pattern just failed to register with me.

Then last week, I was glancing through that issue of Knitty again, and the pattern practically jumped off the page at me. Conveniently enough, since it was about 10 p.m. at the time, I realized that not only did I have the perfect yarn for it in my stash, but I'd just freed up my 5mm needles, so I could knit a test swatch right then and there.

Since then, Beatnik has been my primary project, at least in the knitting department. I haven't done any real cabling to speak of in dog's years, but it came back pretty quickly; I'm currently very close to finishing the back.This is the closest I could get to the actual colour—California Poppy in good old Cascade 220. I tend to refer to it as "school bus yellow," but perhaps I am being unkind.

My one gripe is not about the pattern, but my own strange inability to keep the cabled stitches looking neat and tidy; can you see, in the middle motif, where the cables kind of bulge and shrink in odd ways? I've tried a number of tricks to correct for this, to no avail. My current strategy is to think positive: maybe it'll even out when I block it?
My goal is to have this finished while it's still cool enough to wear it. This one just doesn't strike me as a fantastic addition to my summer wardrobe.

2 comments:

Mary Keenan said...

I looooove Beatnik! I'd have cast on myself if I'd had the gear for it. Can't wait to see how yours comes out!

Allison said...

That is lovely. Blocking should do the trick.