Friday, December 17, 2010

Sock puppetry

Time was that I thought all "sock puppets" looked like this:

Now, though, what with the Interwebs and all, I realize that my definitions need some updating. These days, a sock puppet can mean any of a few things*. For example...
  1. "An account made on an internet message board, by a person who already has an account, for the purpose of posting more-or-less anonymously"
  2. "A fake personality, usually a 'friend' or 'sister,' created by a drama queen/king for the sake of defending him/herself against others in an online forum" (I've actually exposed a couple of these—MWF alumni might recall the Great Kacy Dramaz of 1999.)
  3. "Homer Simpson's greatest fear (Marge: Sock puppets! Homer: AAAAAAH!!)"
I'd like to propose a new, knitting-related meaning: "An ongoing project intended to convince potential recipients of other knitted gifts that they won't be getting anything handmade from you this year." Usage: "I pulled out my sock puppet project Friday night during our regular family get-together, and worked on it while we watched a movie."

Here's my current sock puppet: Yes, it's one of the ubiquitous but nevertheless fascinating Noro striped scarves. I know, I've already made two, but these are easy, mindless knitting, and it's great fun watching the colours emerge and blend (or duke it out for supremacy, depending).

Plus, am I the only person in the world who thought Lambchop would have looked better on a plate with a few sprigs of mint for garnish? I like my sock puppet much better.

* Thanks, Urban Dictionary!

2 comments:

Mary Keenan said...

That is one awesome sock puppet!

Kathleen Taylor said...

Omigod- I had forgotten all about the K imposter, and her dead father and her family and friends, and postings by multiple personalities from the same computer.

I always liked Lamb Chop, but I like your new definitioin so much better!