Last night I had what seemed like a brilliant idea: I've been meaning to try to work out a leaf lace pattern, knit as a scarf on the bias.
That is to say, I'd start with the point of the leaf, and use yarn-over increases on each side to build up to a certain number of stitches; then I'd start decreasing stitches on the right, while continuing to increase on the left, such that the item would grow in one direction while shrinking on the opposite side. This, to my way of thinking, should produce a pretty nice biased scarf. Especially if constructed using some of my kinda stripey handspun.
Problem is, when I tried it out last night, it just plumb didn't work. In fact, it didn't work to such an extent that I ripped it out before I could even take a picture of it. It really was that embarrassingly awful.
I've got the beginnings of the pattern pretty much down in my head, but for some reason I'm just not getting the part where I "turn the corner" and start forming what amounts to a parallelogram. I'm afraid I'm going to have to turn to my court of last resort: I'll have to draw myself a chart, rather than just knitting on the fly.
And sadly, I have far too much work piled up over the next couple of days to devote any real energy to it. On the other hand, it's been my experience in the past that when I'm well and truly thwarted by a knitting problem, it can actually help to let it gestate for a while in my brain while I pretend to be completely engrossed in some other far less interesting task.
Then, when it's not looking, I turn around suddenly, and Blam!! I catch it in the act. Problem solved. I'll let you know when it happens.