Tuesday, November 23, 2010

The socks went marching two by two...

The sun came out today, a full 24 hours earlier than the weather office predicted! Yay!

So I was able to snap a couple of shots of the socks I've been working on for the past week:

These ones are knit from opposite ends of the same skein of Colinette Jitterbug, in the Lagoon colourway. I was a wee bit nervous about the yardage versus my size 12 feet, so I did the heels in a similar colour, using some yarn left over from a pair of socks I made last winter. So far, it seems to be working; and the nice thing about toe-ups is that I can just keep going until I run out of yarn.

I'm completely fascinated by the complementary pooling happening here: I've never seen it before, but those who do two-at-a-time socks regularly may be more familiar with it.

The pattern is my own standard toe-up, with a heel flap and longish gusset. The stitch is ridiculously easy: K4, P2 around for four rows; then K2, P4 around for four more rows. Repeat as necessary. I like the way the waving ripples break up the pooling.
And these are the Turtlepurl Striped Turtle Toes I started a week ago Sunday; they've been on time-out since the kitten chewed through one of the threads just as I was working the toe section, but I literally have about 20 rows left to go before I Kitchener them shut, and add them to the sock stash.

The pattern is a standard top-down with heel flap, nothing terribly exciting. But there's something comfortingly consistent about these socks, I find. (However, I confess to a certain annoyance that I didn't make the cuffs a bit longer; I'm going to have a largish amount of leftover yarn on this project. Next time, I'll be a bit less parsimonious.)

And now, it's back to work for me. Deadlines await and all that. Toodle-pip!

No comments: