Friday, July 9, 2010

Can't complain

(And even if I did, no one would listen.)

Yes, it's been hot. Damn hot. Hotter than I can remember it getting in quite some time, although to be fair, the last couple of summers have scored pretty low on the "fun in the sun" scale. Actually, this time last year I remember people moaning about how that July was the rainiest on record, and it was too cold to go out and bake one's self to a leathery crisp in the back yard, and so on and so forth.

My point being that we North Americans seem to spend an inordinate amount of time complaining about the weather. Too hot (or too cold, or too rainy) in the summer, too cold (or snowy, or melty) in the winter. Too (insert adjective of your choice here) in the (spring/fall).

Honestly, people, can't we find other things to gripe about? Maybe even stuff we can actually change?

Harrumph. Anyway.

That's not actually what I wanted to talk about today. What I wanted to talk about is spinning.

Yesterday I was lucky enough to have my friend Mary drop by for a cup of tea and some blether, along with a bit of spinning. I'm not really expert enough to call myself any kind of spinning teacher, but I was able to show her some of the tricks I use when I'm in the mood to turn poofy bumps of fleece into knittable yarn.

By the end of our visit, we were both chatting away about non-spinning stuff, while our spindles whirled and wound merrily along. Something very homey and wonderful about spinning in tandem on a beautiful summer's morning. I wish I'd thought to get a picture or two!

Tomorrow: pics of the stuff I've been spinning.

2 comments:

kmkat said...

When I am annoyed at people complaining about the cold in the winter, I always remark, "Well, it IS January in Wisconsin. It seems to happen every year about this time." You would be amazed at how many people seem surprised at that :)

Not ready for handspun said...

I agree; there's altogether too much complaining about the weather. I'm not a big fan of the humidity, but it sure makes a dip in a swimming pool feel great!

How nice to hear about the spinning from both sides. It sounds like you both really enjoyed the day!