Friday, February 26, 2010

Stumped, with a side of thwarted

I finished the main part of the gold handspun BFL scarf I wrote about the other day. You know, the one that eventually became the falling leaves pattern, after some dithering about?

All was grooviness, until I started the border (using more handspun in Mahogany); at that point, I realized a couple of things:
  1. The base for the charted border called for about twice as much yarn as I have on hand. I could fudge this, skimping out on the base, but I had a more fundamental problem, to whit:
  2. The pattern as writ made no earthly sense to me. Whether this is the pattern's fault or a result of the Advil Cold & Sinus I've been popping like breath mints the past couple of days, I do not know. I just know that I stared at that pattern, squinted at the chart upside down and sideways, held it away just in case my glasses were malfunctioning, read and re-read the instructions. Nada. It was as Greek to me.
So I decided to go it alone. I'd make my own damn border, and claim it was my idea in the first place. I used my handy-dandy Addi Clicks to fashion a super-long circ with a join in the middle, since my plan involved picking up and knitting all the stitches around the edge; and then I set to work.

This lasted all of 10 minutes; then, as I was pushing the admittedly massive number of stitches along the cable, the join in the middle gave way, and about 60 gazillion stitches tumbled out, and I said some very bad words. I guess I must not have clicked the join properly; so I picked up all the stitches, yea unto the very last one, herded them back onto the cable, refastened the joiner thingy, and proceeded.

Twenty minutes later, it snapped again. And half an hour after that, and then...I said to hell with it. Only I said it much more colourfully than that. And I picked up the stitches again, and this time I omitted my oh-so-clever super-long cable, in favour of just your average long cable, and things settled down again.

Until this morning, when I was just about to bind off, and I took one last look at the border, and realized that if I were to bind off as planned, I would have to live with the fact that I'd mucked up the mitred corners to the point where they were not, strictly speaking, corners any longer. They were more like something a drunken spider might have committed after a night on the tiles.

I had to decide: was I willing to live with this for the rest of the scarf's life, or did I want to take it out and reknit it? Actually, it was more a question of the lesser of evils -- and so I gritted my teeth and yanked the whole thing out. I'll do it over, and I'm sure that eventually I'll feel pleased with my choice. Eventually.

4 comments:

Not ready for handspun said...

I agree, it's best to rip it out and go again. Feel better soon!

Mary Keenan said...

I had the same thing happen with my Addi Clicks joiner thingy! Apparently if you take it back to the place you bought it with your receipt, they'll fix it... but I just don't bother using it.

Karen said...

What irritates me most about the joiner thingy is that it is the exact reason I bought the set in the first place. I wanted super-long cables for certain projects, and so far, that has been a no-go. I will take your advice and see if the store will send them back for repair, though.

Geek Knitter said...

Oh dear. I hate it when it feels like my knitting is fighting back.