Monday, January 11, 2010

Sick bay

Over the weekend I had a call from Adrian--who never gets sick--saying that he was sick. Some kind of stomach bug, the kind that peels through one's digestive tract like a kid with the keys to his parents' Jaguar. Fun times.

This morning, I woke up with my own version. Bleah. That is all I have to say about that. We both feel better now, thanks, but for a few hours there I was glad everyone had gone to work and school, so I didn't have to arm-wrestle anyone for access to the bathroom.

And that is quite enough about that.

On to more pleasant topics: here are a couple of photos of a wee something I have been working on for the last week or so. I spun up the yarn--my first-ever lace weight--from some Louet Merino-Silk
blend in the Mulberry colourway, which I picked up at the Knitter's Fair in Waterloo last September.

I spun up about 350 yards total using a .8 oz. spindle, and plied using an ingenious method involving three tennis balls, two coffee cups, and a bowl. I was determined not to let the plies get the best of me this time, and I won. Ha. Take that, Rebel Plies.


The pattern is Butternut Scarf, by Anne Hanson, and I am finding it a real pleasure to work. Just enough challenge to keep me awake, but not so much that I want to fling it at the wall. Highly recommended.

4 comments:

Mary Keenan said...

I said it before and I'll say it again: gorgeous!!!

Geek Knitter said...

Here's a tip: If you think you might need to fling your knitting at the wall, keep something which has a little heft to it handy.

I find that wrapping my knitting around a paperback book gives it just the weight it needs...

Kathleen Taylor said...

Oh so beautiful! And from your own handspun! All spindle spun (and spindle plied)besides! Brava!

p.s. I almost always cheat and ply spindle singles on the wheel. So much easier. Though of course, you could drop a hint to Mitchell to get you a Golding wheel next

Patti (from Ottawa) said...

That looks beautiful! Your own laceweight... damn, I'm impressed!