Friday, January 29, 2010

Gold

For some reason, the fairytale Rumpelstiltskin has been resonating with me of late. I think it's the part about "spinning straw into gold"--the more I contemplate that, the more I sympathize with that poor girl, locked up in the tower. If I were her, I'd have been mightily pissed.

I mean really. Straw? Who spins straw? What kind of demented power-mad freak asks that of anyone? And asking for gold is just plain dumb. Not to mention greedy.

In any case, I have some gold to show you today:

It's Fleece Artist's Blue-faced Leicester, in the colourway Amber. Not sure why I've been finding this one such tough going. Usually BFL is my friend, and we get along just fine, but this time I really had to prep the snot out of it beforehand: I fluffed up every inch of the stuff, and still I ran into sticky bits that just didn't want to pull out and twist up nicely.

The result is not quite as bad as if I'd been attempting to spin straw, but it's nowhere near the nice even singles I've been getting lately from Merino, Merino/silk, Shetland, and Corriedale.

On the other hand, it's definitely gold.

(Blurry, out-of-focus gold, but still.)

2 comments:

Patti (from Ottawa) said...

caramel gold - it's beautiful

Elizabeth said...

Actually, I rather enjoy spinning straw, especially in the summer. Linen thread begins as flax, which is a straw - in Rumplestiltskin's time fine, even flax thread was gold - or at least worth quite a bit of gold.