Friday, December 4, 2009

A knitter's reach should exceed her grasp

This morning I decided to tidy the giant stack of miscellaneous knitted stuff that has taken up residence in our bedroom. (Mitchell, if you're reading this, the smelling salts are in the stationery cabinet, right below the computer equipment.)

So I'm folding and tucking things in their assigned places, humming away to myself, when I come across a project I'd nearly forgotten about. It's a large-ish Cambria wrap, using Fleece Artist's Leba, a "special" that I picked out of a giant box that had just arrived at Wool'n'Things.

I made it last winter--in fact, I knit much of it while driving to and from a conference near Toronto's Pearson Airport, so when I look at the wrap, I get the impression of sitting in the back of a pick-up truck happily knitting away, while Mitchell and Andrew talked shop.

Anyway, there it was, in all its Fleece Artist wine and russet glory, and I thought, "Hmm. I would really like another of these, perhaps in some of the green Nyoni I picked up at the same time as the Leba."

Then I had to slap myself about the head and ears a bit until I came to my senses. Because even though I don't knit as many holiday gifts as some people I could mention (Mary, I am looking straight at you), I still have a LOT of stuff that I want to finish before the end of this month.

For example, poor Rachel has been waiting patiently for her Central Park Hoodie, which keeps getting derailed by other projects; I want to make a Jayne Hat, or possibly two, for a couple of Firefly fans I know; I'd really like to finish up the Beginner's Triangle I've been making from A Gathering of Lace, using some Twisted Fiber Arts Arial in Firefly; and then there's the ongoing Sock Project, which has become more of a necessity since Rachel and I signed a formal Non-Aggression Treaty* with respect to my collection of hand-knit socks.

Also, I've had several potential sweater patterns swirling around in my head, and eventually I expect I'll have to just choose one and get down to it. Oh, and I have a three other scarves, part of a lace shawl, and a bunch of just-begun-and-then-abandoned things that should probably take a trip to the frog pond and get turned into something else...and I want to do some more spinning, because I have some amazing fleece that really seems to want to become a three-ply....it's all just a bit overwhelming.

And yet, I know very well that I am not alone. In fact, I think you'll find that the predominant theme among knitters' blogs at this time of year is "Yikes! How in hell will I ever get all this knitting done in time for (Hannukah/Christmas/Kwanzaa/Solstice/Insert Winter Holiday Here)?"

Given its prevalence, and the obvious mental distress it causes, I really think Knitter's Overcommitment Syndrome should be listed in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual as an official diagnosis.

All in favour, raise your hand. Just watch you don't poke someone's eye out with that needle.

*The terms of the treaty specify that she is allowed to nick socks from my drawer, just as long as she does not abuse them (by balling up and leaving under the basement couch, for example), and as long as she remembers that even hand-knit socks must be washed once in a while. I will say no more.

2 comments:

Not ready for handspun said...

Maybe I'm kidding myself but I'm still hoping to finish three more pairs of socks for Christmas.

Save me a spot in the Knitter's Overcommitment Syndrome ward!

Mitchell said...

What a difference context makes!

First I read:

"I knit much of it while driving to and from a conference near Toronto's Pearson Airport..."

And I wondered how you got there safe and sound.

Then, I saw:

"...so when I look at the wrap, I get the impression of sitting in the back of a pick-up truck happily knitting away, while Mitchell and Andrew talked shop.

Now I can put away the smelling salts!