Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Not even in the ballpark

The weather here has been unseasonably balmy this week. Temps up to 15C, and nothing falling from the sky, which means that the local cafes have broken the patio tables and chairs out of winter storage, and on Sunday I saw a young woman strolling down Bank Street decked out in short shorts and what we oldsters still refer to as "thongs." I believe these are now known as "flip-flops," since thong has acquired a whole other meaning, but that's not my point. My point is, it's warm, especially given that it's November.

That said, it dawned on me at some point over the weekend that I need gloves for the not-warm season ahead. I was looking for my dog-walking gloves in the front hall, and discovered that by some odd coincidence, I have a whole bunch of gloves and mitts . . . but only one of each. Why? Where did the others go? Your guess is as good as mine.

But that's okay, because I'm a knitter, and knitters like to knit stuff. And since it's not really blistering cold out yet, and (with luck) won't be for another few weeks, I thought it might be nice to try knitting a pair of gloves. In fact, I knew just the ones: I'd seen these on Brooklyn Tweed, and they looked so warm and cosy, not to mention Noro-friendly. I was a bit unsure of my ground, as I've knit many a mitten but nary a glove, but hey, I thought, how hard can it be?

And so I did them up in Noro Kureyon 255, and as I figured out the whole "how to knit a finger" thing, I kept marvelling at how easy it was. Why has no one ever mentioned this before? It's really no harder than knitting a thumb on a mitten, only there are more of them.

Anyway, here's Glove the First:

I love the colours, the warm hues that kind of blend into one another. Tres cosy.

And so once I'd finished the first, I could hardly wait to get to the second.

Here it is:Notice anything . . . odd? Such as, for example, that it bears pretty much no resemblance to the colours in Glove 1? And yet, they're both from the same ball. True story. Still, I kind of like it.

Then again, I'm fond of flashing, pooling, and non-identical socks, too. It's just how I roll.

(p.s. Sorry about the crappy photo quality. It may be warm out, but it still gets dark early, and so I'm reduced to shooting in the evening, with flash.)

3 comments:

Mary Keenan said...

This is so perfect for you!! You can knit a third - and when you lose one, you'll still have a matching pair :^)

Seriously though, I really need to get onto the glove thing. As you say, there's no reason those fingers should be as daunting as they look.

Kathleen Taylor said...

Noro is gloriously non-matching. If you have a couple of balls and are not afraid to cut and tie, you can get sort of matching items from Noro. It's easiest just to go with the flow. I love the gloves.

And glove knitting is addicting- it really does seem to go faster than mittens. Go figure.

nicolaknits said...

I think those gloves are beautiful - even if they don't match each other.