Wednesday, November 25, 2009

If I were a truly responsible person...

...I would be busily compiling my time-sheets from the past, um, month or so. Or perhaps it's longer. I hesitate to check, because I kind of don't want to know. Our company's bookkeeper has reminded me ever so gently that I'm a little behind on this matter, and I really don't want to let her down, because she's a nice person (who could potentially decide to withhold my paycheque, but again, some avenues are best left unexplored).

However, as my children will attest, I am far from being a responsible person, which is why I have decided to devote the next little while to drafting a pattern for an Infinity Scarf/Moebius.

Here's what I've got so far:

  1. Yarn: Worsted weight or thereabouts. I'd like this thing to have some body, and some bounce. Maybe the skein of Fleece Artist's River, in the Ireland colourway, that's been looking at me with its appealing silvery-green eyes for some time now? I swear it winked at me the other day.
  2. Inside out, or end to end? By "inside out," I mean Cat Bordhi's ingenious method of looping a very long circular needle so that you're actually knitting the thing from the middle of the Moebius strip. It's fun, but would require that I go look something up (e.g., how to do it).
    End to end has the advantage of simplicity: you do a provisional cast-on, knit-knit-knit-knit-knit, come to the end, undo the cast-on row, and then Kitchener stitch the thing together. Simple but effective.
    I'm pondering.
  3. Stitch pattern? Whether I use Cat's version or the end-to-end, I must consider this carefully, because when I'm wearing the thing, both sides of the pattern will be visible at the same time. I know that sounds whacked, but it's absolutely true. On my most successful Moebius to date, I used seed stitch, but that seems a bit plain for what I have in mind.
    Maybe reversible cables?
    Hmm. That has promise. Must go sketch something. Back soon.

2 comments:

Mary Keenan said...

I know somebody who needs a copy of "Reversible Knitting"....

Dave said...

How can cables be reversible if they only have one side? :-)