Monday, October 26, 2009

Vertigo

Have you ever gone through a couple of months when it seemed as though nothing in your life was rooted to the ground, when everything was shifting or changing or simply disappearing? It's disorienting, like having bed-spins, except without the prior fun of having one drink too many.

I'm there now, and if it's okay with the universe, I'd be okay if it stopped. Or at least slowed down a bit.

Not that it's been all bad, mind you: in fact, some of the changes (like the beautiful new red oak flooring in our family room, which replaces the World's Ugliest Mustard-Coloured 1970s Wall-to-wall) are downright enjoyable. And usually I'd be thrilled with that kind of shift. In general, I'm all in favour of home beautification, especially when it's my home in question. So that was one of the good shifts.

But since about mid-September (when, coincidentally enough, I seem to have posted here last), my life could best be described as vertiginous. I'd rather not start a list, in part because you'd probably fall asleep before you reached the end, but trust me: it's been One of Those Months.

I've been self-medicating with wool, though that's probably no surprise: most of the past three weeks has been taken up with my own variation on Frankie Brown's ingenious Ten-Stitch Blanket, using a massive amount of Patons SWS in the Natural Navy colourway. Lots of brown, grey, and navy stripey goodness, on 6.5mm needles.

Instead of ten stitches, I ramped it up to 20; and instead of joining the edges by slipping the last stitch k-wise, knitting the selvage edge stitch, and then passing the slipped stitch over, I'm slipping the last stitch, slipping the selvage stitch, and SSKing. On the wrong side, keeping the yarn in back, I slip the stitch I just made, then knit the rest of the row. This is making a nice raised rib where the pieces join, which I think is quite attractive. Oh, and I think that rather than leave the garter stitch edges bare when I'm done, I'll use an I-cord edging to help the blanket maintain its shape and not get all weird and ruffly (as garter stitch is wont to do, when left to its own devices).

Oh, and did I mention why I'm making the blanket in the first place (besides as a form of occupational therapy, that is)?

It's to be a housewarming gift for my father-in-law, who has just pulled up stakes and moved into a very snazzy seniors' residence, and I'm hoping he'll enjoy its plushy cosiness for many years to come.

4 comments:

Mary Keenan said...

Oh, it is so nice to hear from you again. And SUCH a gorgeous blanket!! He'll love it :^)

Geek Knitter said...

It's so good to see you here again, I was getting worried.

Hope the world slows down with the spinning for a while.

Kris said...

Nice blanket. SWS is really soft.

Other than that I'd like to echo Geek Knitter's sentiments.

Walden said...

It's nice to see you around again. The blanket is looking wonderful, that colorway looks so wonderful knit up like that!