Wednesday, May 13, 2009

busybusybusy

That's me. And not knitting busy, either. Work busy -- interviewing writers and editors; shipping finished text out the door, only to be greeted by even more project sheets informing me that I have about 10 more to complete; and working on my own personal version of the never-ending story, my massive rewrite of the Style Guide so that our writers and editors will know how we want their stuff to look.

Oh, and also attempting to organize a baby shower for Kate -- I will simply say that it is always a mistake to appoint me social convenor of anything. It's just not my forte. Dammit, Jim, I'm an editor, not a project manager!

However, amid all this busy-ness, I've been working on a new project: another version of the Swallowtail Shawl. I made the first one back in September, for my mother-in-law just before she entered palliative care. That one was a lovely shade of green; this one in flaming reds.

I've been using a new-to-me yarn called Zauberball, by Schoppel-Wolle, and I have to say that if Malabrigo and Noro were to have a love-child, this would be it.

The yarn is soft as butter, with a slight fuzz to it; and the colour shifts are long and luxurious, such that you can't even really see where one shade ends and the next begins. Yet they do change, from deep cranberry to tomato, back to cranberry, then to a brighter red, and so on. Subtle shifts, soft wool, a pattern I know and love (well, okay, the nupps aren't my favourite, but I'll settle)...what could be better?

4 comments:

Stacy said...

The yarn looks gorgeous.... like I need the temptation. ;-)

Kathleen Taylor said...

want. yarn. now.

gilraen said...

I love the look of that yarn!!!

Mary Keenan said...

mmmm, yarn candy... I'll enjoy watching how this one shapes up!