Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Quality counts

I told you the other day about the garter stitch pullover my friends and I made back in the 1970s. Mine, you might recall, was made of pure 100% acrylic, and (to put it mildly) it did not age gracefully.

A couple of readers wanted to see for themselves: for them, I actually went and dug the relic out of the trunk where I store old clothing I cannot relinquish for sentimental reasons. Here's the evidence:
I know, it doesn't really look that bad. From a distance.

However, it has no discernible shape, as it long ago got stretched all to hell and gone. Plus, it has more pills than Dr. House.



Here's a close-up:
Yes,it really does look that awful.









And here's the beginning of Garter Stitch Pullover, Mach II:

Note that Mach II is made from good old Cascade 220, that workhorse yarn that is awesome in its loft, evenness, and utter predictability. It is by no means an adventuresome yarn, but it is well suited to this project, which requires a yarn with some serious body, and not too many surprises. The yarn can't be too heavy, as it will be knit to a largish gauge (on 7mm needles), and there will be a lot of it.

Also, note the cleverly placed gauge ruler in the middle of the shot -- the better to show off my camera's auto-flash function.

Assuming you don't actually go blind from the overexposure, you might be able to appreciate the difference between the two sweaters. In some ways it's not a fair comparison, as Mach I is 32 years old -- but I would be willing to wager that by the time Mach II reaches that distinguished age, it will look a damn sight better than its predecessor.

My main concern at the moment: will this vivid yellow make me look like a giant schoolbus? Well, only one way to find out. Onward!

6 comments:

Geek Knitter said...

Ow... spots in front of my eyes... what did the end of the post say?

Karen said...

Oh, stop whining! :D
I took the shot at about 8 this morning, between walking the dog and piling everyone in the car to get to work -- not exactly what you'd call "ideal photo-shoot conditions."
--k.

aandjblog said...

i actually like the orange. I don't think that you would look like a giant school bus.. maybe just a little one.

Stacy said...

I don't think you'll look like a school bus at all... I'm looking forward to see the progression.

Kathleen Taylor said...

If you do look like a school bus, you'll be the most beautiful school bus ever. But as it is, I think you will look sunflowery, which is a whole other class of yellow/orange.

gilraen said...

Good for you! I love the Dr House bit BTW :)