Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Hands on

I admit it: when I met my first skeins of yarn from Twisted Fiber Arts, I was not as blown away as I thought I would be.

The colours are pretty, and the yarn itself is nice, but until I actually started knitting with this stuff, I really couldn't see what all the hype was about.

Then I knit my first moebius with Arial in the Firefly colourway, and I started to get it: this is true artisanal yarn, the kind that shows its true self when it's on the needles. That Arial was so light and lofty, the colours so delicate and subtle, it was hard to describe the experience of knitting with it.

Yesterday I started knitting a sock with another Twisted yarn -- this time I'm using Playful, in an "organic stripe" colourway called Leisure. This one bills itself as a sport weight, though I'd be more inclined to call it a fingering-weight yarn; and once again, it began to reveal itself as soon as it hit the needles.

That's when the beautifully evocative colours came into their own -- fresh aquamarine highlighting dusty roses and spring greens, interspersed wiith slightly darker stripes of olive and dark golden browns.

I'm making a rough adaptation of another Knitty pattern -- Broadripple, yet another "looks tricky but isn't" pattern. (I think this is my motif this spring: patterns that look like I'm a lot more expert than I really am.) Modifications include a garter-stitch heel and toe, and a few extra stitches width in the foot, as I find the pattern a bit constricting as written.

In any case, the ripply lace stitchwork shows off the yarn's colourwork to perfection.

(Still working on taming my little camera's tendency to overexposure...sorry!)

A nice bonus touch: when I got the yarn last summer, it came with a mini-skein of coordinating yarn, which I'm using to make the garter-stitch heels and toes on these socks.

More to come...

3 comments:

Mary Keenan said...

I'm knitting with my TFA Playful right now too! in a subtle colourway though. It's just unbelievably rich in fabric form - I love it. I don't even mind the smaller needles.

Geek Knitter said...

Ooooo lovely!

Kathleen Taylor said...

Yes, the yarn looks good in the skein, but you can't *see* what it really does until you knit it up. Meg is a color genius.

I think if Playful as a heavy fingering weight. I knit it the same as other fingering weight socks, but they come out sturdier, and very comfy and warm (and I machine wash and dry them just fine).