Monday, April 13, 2009

Confession time

Here's something not everyone knows about me: I love handbags.

My collection is modest (especially when you compare it to my yarn stash), but years ago I decided that buying a handbag I'm lukewarm about is a false economy -- it'll just wind up on the floor of my closet gathering dust. Better to save the price of that ho-hum bag and put it toward something I love, I think.

Granted, I've never been able to force myself to spend beyond my own personal price point (and no, I'm not disclosing what that is, but I do want to emphasize that I have one, and I don't go above it). I've tried -- once when I was particularly flush with cash, I strolled into my local Holt Renfrew, intent on purchasing something, you know, really immodest. Something way out there, that would scream to the world, "I just spent a ridiculous sum of money on a purse!"

And I just could not do it. Something in me -- perhaps my Scottish DNA, or maybe just my own common sense -- froze at the idea of handing over such big bucks for the privilege of shilling for some high-end handbag designer.

The money stayed in my wallet, and I wound up getting a very conservative brown suede slouch bag that served me very well for a few years.

Anyway. I told you all that so I could tell you this: today while I was browsing at my LYS, I came to an abrupt slack-jawed halt. There it was, sitting on the floor and calling to me: the handbag of my dreams. In a knitting store. And for the first time in I don't know how long, I came out of an LYS without any yarn. Instead, I spent my month's yarn allowance on this:

Gaze in wonder, my friends. It's a Jordana Paige knitting bag, cleverly disguised as a purse. It's purple, and it's sleek, and it has a kiss-lock, my absolute favourite kind of handbag opening, and it's mine, all mine!

(rubs hands together in glee)

In celebration, I think I'll go out and rake some leaves in the back garden.

Oh yeah -- that's the other reason I'm a bit giddy today. I was outside without a jacket just now, and the sun is shining, and all the snow is gone. Let's hear it for Easter Monday!

5 comments:

Stacy said...

Oh, please let me know the quality.... (I'm guessing good since you bought it). I've had my eyes on one online but hate spending money without holding and feeling it in person.

Enjoy!!

Karen said...

Sorry, I should have been more specific about that, huh? :)
Well, it's "vegan," aka not-leather, aka vinyl or something like it. The seams are all straight, and it feels solid and hefty, not cheaply made or flimsy. I'll let you know how it wears...

Geek Knitter said...

Jordana Paige totally rocks. Congratulations, both on the bag and on the lack of snow.

Kathleen Taylor said...

gorgeous bag- may it hold yarn happily for many years (or whatever else you decide to put in it)

Patti (from Ottawa) said...

It's really nice but I still like motorcycle punk granny better... If you ever get rid of that one, I know where it can find a good home. Hmmm?