Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Playing catch-up

Okay, so first off: it's absolutely not true that I dropped off the face of the planet.

I know, I know, rumours abound, but honestly, I've been here all along. It's just the time of year when all hell breaks loose, work-wise, and as the person responsible for reviewing every single report that makes its way out of our office -- and by "review," I mean "scour through pages and pages of text for other people's errors, and eradicate them" -- I've been buried in projects. And when I'm not actually staring glassy-eyed at my computer monitor, I'm too tired to do much of anything.

It got to the point, this past weekend, where I basically wanted to do nothing more than sit and watch the toaster pop, I was that exhausted. And yesterday does not even bear thinking about. Trust me, you don't want to know.

I did some knitting over the weekend, but nothing to write home about -- although I did manage to finally finish Rachel's Flying Carpet Socks, to her delight. They're from the "Duets" line of sock kits, a nifty plastic tube that contains a skein of Lorna's Laces "Shepherd Sock," a contrasting skein of Mountain Colors' "Bearfoot," and an original pattern by Cat Bordhi.

Mmmmm...."Bearfoot." That yarn is truly delicious. It has just enough mohair to make the socks a bit shiny and ultra-soft, with a slight, delicate halo; and the wool content keeps it springy and fun to work with.

There was a moment of crisis last fall, when I was about half-way through the second sock and realized that one disadvantage of the Bigfoot Gene (shared by all members of my family) was that I wasn't confident I could finish the danged thing with the amount of Bearfoot the kit provided. Fortunately, I conveyed this info to Nancy at The Log Cabin, where I bought the kit in the first place, and she let the Mountain Colors rep know, and they sent along a small extra hank, definitely enough to finish the pair.

Of course, by then I'd gone on to other things, and the socks sat unfinished on my work table for months, but that's a whole other story.

The socks themselves are what I'd describe as "whimsical" -- not only are they constructed using Cat's "Riverbed" sockitecture, toe-ups with a garter stitch square taking the place of a shaped toe, and the gusset increases taking place on the sole, rather than the sides, but they end with what I think of as "jester flaps." To be honest, they're a bit fussy for my taste, but Rachel likes them, and that's what counts.

And I'm continuing to work on the lace scarf I mentioned last time, but it really doesn't look any different than it did, other than a bit longer.

Ho-hum.

Sometimes it's like that, I guess -- projects bubble along, with not much to show; life hums past in a blur of projects and editor training and writer briefings and client revisions and such, and next thing you know it's the last week of March, and you look around and realize that while you've been hibernating in your office, spring seems to have arrived, the Canada geese are streaming northward again, and the sun is actually making all the snow disappear. Life, in other words, is moving along.

And as soon as I can clear my desk, I'll have to catch up with it.

2 comments:

Geek Knitter said...

And then there are the days when toasters popping is just a little too stimulating...

Hope things settle for you soon!

Mary Keenan said...

Oh Karen, how I have missed your voice :^)