Monday, March 2, 2009

Full of sound and fury...

. . . signifying nothing.

That's how I'd characterize yesterday's bout of knitting.

See, I had this idea about doing another Moebius (yes, yes, I know -- but it was a good idea), so I cast on as soon as I got up yesterday morning. Knit like a demon most of the morning, cast off in early afternoon, and realized very quickly that I had made some fairly basic mis-assumptions about the gauge, such that the Moebius barely fit over my head, but was long and tube-like except for the weirdly flared ends. Kind of useless for anything other than, perhaps, a tuba cover.

In other words, it required a long dip in the frog pond. Sic transit gloria mundi.

However, let me tell you about the idea: See, the thing is that when you're knitting a Moebius, you cast on what is essentially a provisional cast-on, which forms a "spine," as it were; each time you finish a round, you are adding stitches on either side of the spine, so that the work grows between the needles and the cord of the circs, if that makes any sense. Anyway, if you ONLY knit, you will wind up with stocking stitch above the spine, and reverse stocking stitch below -- what Cat Bordhi calls "bipolar Moebius knitting."

In practical terms, when you put the bipolar Moebius on as a neckwarmer, one half of it will always look "inside out." That is, you can see the reverse stocking stitch, which is okay as far as it goes, but I wanted a Moebius that would look the same no matter which way you looked at it. Yes, this is the kind of thing I obsess about when left to my own devices.

So I decided to knit in a stitch that looks the same on both sides -- in this case, seed stitch. It worked beautifully -- aside from the line formed by the cast-on "spine," you really can't see any difference, or "wrong sidedness," which was my goal. It was kind of too bad about the whole tuba cover thing, because it seems my initial premise was correct.

Yesterday's work wasn't wasted, as I cast on again last night and started another, this time with a slightly more reasonable number of stitches, and incorporating my latest insight (which I am sure every other Moebius knitter has already thought of, but I came to it under my own steam, so I still think it's cool).

I'll let you know how it goes.

2 comments:

Geek Knitter said...

I often find myself thinking that even though something that something I've knit looks as strange as socks on a fish... those are usually the projects I learn the most from!

As an inexperience Moebius knitter, I await your insight!

Stacy said...

I'm intrigued... can't wait to see it in seed stitch!