Thursday, February 5, 2009

A post in search of a title

(Geez, you'd think I'd know by now that the little box up top is where the title goes. Never mind -- now it's fixed.)

I've had quite a few requests for the pattern for the scarf I knit Mitchell last week -- this one:

So the other night I sat myself down and wrote up the pattern, as best I could recall it. It was one of those "knitting by feel" things, so I had several false starts on it, but once I got going, it was a nice relaxing knit, and the twisty cabled bits added a bit of fun to the proceedings.

Of course, knitting it in a spongy, ultra-soft recycled cashmere didn't hurt, either. If you can't find such a yarn, I'd suggest any high-loft yarn, such as King Ultra-Stampato, a 12-ply merino I used last year for Mitchell's Cobblestone (is there a theme here? Must all manly-man yarns be ultra-lofty and ultra-soft? Or maybe it's just love).

Observant readers will note that I made a somewhat non-matching hat to go with this scarf (in fact, I made the hat first), but I haven't yet written that one up. Some day soon, I'll get to it. Meanwhile, here's the scarf, my early February gift to you:

Manly Man Scarf
(but girls like it, too!)

Materials: 12-ply yarn—I used a recycled cashmere, but any bulky yarn could be substituted.

Needles: 5.5mm

Gauge: 16 st. = 10cm

***

Border: Cast on 46 stitches. K 7 rows.

Row 1 (right side): K5, *(P1, K4); repeat from * until 6 stitches remain. P1, K5.

Row 2: K6, *(P4, K1); repeat from * until 5 stitches remain. K5.

Repeat these two rows once more, then first row again.

Row 6: K11, *(P4, K6); repeat from * to last 5 stitches; K5.

Row 7: As Row 1.

Row 8: As Row 6.

Row 9: K5, *(P1, K4, P1, C4F); repeat from * until 11 stitches remain. P1, K4, P1, K5.

Row 10: As Row 6.

Row 11: As Row 1.

Row 12: As Row 2.

Row 13: As Row 1.

Repeat the last two rows once more.

Row 16: K6, *(P4, K6); repeat from * to end.

Row 17: As Row 1.

Row 18: As Row 16.

Row 19: K5, *(P1, C4B, P1, K4); repeat from * until 10 stitches remain. C4B, P1, K5.

Row 20: As Row 16.

Repeat these 20 rows 17 times, or until scarf is desired length. End on Row 5 or Row 15.

K7 rows, then bind off.

********

And here to model it for you is the lovely Ninja Mitchell, in full regalia.


3 comments:

Stacy said...

Thanks for posting the pattern....

gilraen said...

What a cute ninja!!!

Gorgeous scarf and great pattern!!! :)

Thank you.

Geek Knitter said...

I still think he looks more like a bank-robber...

Word Verification: aliew

And alien saying "ew" perhaps?