Monday, February 2, 2009

Finishitis, Part 2

Everyone here knows what Emergency Knitting is, right?

That's the project (usually a relatively small one, like a sock or a mitten) that knitters carry around in their handbag or knapsack or other conveyance, Just In Case.

Just in case of what? Why, in case the knitter should be, through some horrible convergence of events, stranded without a thing to knit. Emergency Knitting comes in very handy under many circumstances: waiting for one's turn at the dentist's office; standing in long lines at the grocery store; sitting in the change room at the store where your teenage daughter feels compelled to try on every pair of jeans in the place before finally settling on the first pair she tried on.

Anyway, for the past three and a half months, my emergency knitting has taken the form of a second Clapotis, knit in Handmaiden Sea Silk, in the most amazing palette of mauves, browns, and midnight blue. I started this project back in early October, when I was spending most of my days in the palliative care wing of Montreal's Mt. Sinai Hospital; but once I came back to Ottawa I wanted a change from the project that had sustained me during that time. So the Clapotis got demoted from Primary Project to Emergency Knitting, and since then I've worked on it a few rows at a time.

Until this past weekend when, as I mentioned yesterday, I began to feel a sudden urge to finish off some projects. Yesterday morning the lucky winner was Mitchell's charcoal grey cashmere scarf and hat set; and last night, during a delightful visit with my friend Patti, during which some knitting was accomplished and many YouTube videos were viewed, I finally knit the last of Clapotis Deux. Patti, bless her, applauded. Being a knitter herself, she knows the true importance of such occasions.

I'd given some thought to blocking this version of the Clap. My first one, knit from Noro Kureyon Sock (do I have some weird fixation about knitting Clapotises on teeny-tiny needles, or what?) got a thorough soaking and some severe blocking, but this one is silk, and I wasn't sure how it might react to such peremptory treatment. So instead, I pinned it out on my hi-tech blocking board (yes, I did use push-pins, and Patti has the photographs to prove it), gave it a light misting from a spray bottle of water, and let it dry overnight.

In the morning, I was rewarded with this:


It's plenty long enough to use either as a wrap or a scarf, and the drapiness and sheen of this yarn are glorious -- enough, even, to warrant having knit a seven-foot-long scarf and/or wrap on 2.5mm needles.

And as an extra bonus, I have finally liberated the Addi Lace needles, with extra-long cord, that had been tied up for three and a half months on this project.

And why, you may ask, is this important?

Tune in tomorrow, when we discuss the many uses of camel yarn. It'll be cool. Just wait.

5 comments:

dawn draper said...

Sea silk is a really gorgeous yarn, and clapotis #2 looks amazing! Congratulations on your case of Finishitis (send it east when you're done).

Mary Keenan said...

I am 99% certain I would never ever wear a shawl often enough to justify knitting one of these but MAN, you make it hard to stick to my product-knitterisms! It's gorgeous. Will you miss working on it?

Geek Knitter said...

An altogether lovely thing, truly!

Stacy said...

Beautiful - I love it!

Kathleen Taylor said...

oooooohhhhhhhhh..........