Friday, January 30, 2009

Neither fish nor fowl...

...nor any kind of knitting, actually.

But this next thing does fall under the "geekery" part of this blog's mandate, so I thought I'd put it up today.

Rachel is finished her first semester of Grade 9 (yay!), including exams and all; this is also the first year she's taken what she calls "Tech," but what you and I might have known as "Industrial Arts." (Who thought of that name, by the way? How can something be "industrial" but also an "art"? It's a bit like "military intelligence," or "progressive conservative" -- two perfectly fine words that just don't belong in close proximity to one another.)

I remember my first term of Industrial Arts, in which my teacher terrified me by showing an unnecessarily gory film of someone getting impaled by a flying two-by-four because they forgot some crucial part of "how to use a table saw." Seriously, this put me off any form of woodworking or metalworking, particularly those kinds that involved power tools. I still can't use an electric drill without cringing. I wasn't fully comfortable with the whole Industrial Arts thing until we were safely ensconced in the non-power-tool-infested drafting studio.

Anyway, it seems that my daughter has not inherited my morbid phobia of power tools. In fact, almost every day for the past couple of months she's announced to me, "I used the router today," or "Today I learned how to use the band saw."

"Oh, really?" I'd say, gritting my teeth as I tried to smile. "That's great! Really great!"

Then it was, "I need 30 bucks for tiles."

Wha---? What kind of tiles? Solid gold ones?

(Actually, Rachel points out that I still owe her the $30. Whatever. I will pay up when she starts paying me for all the time I invested carrying and giving birth to her.)

Anyway, the tiles were bought, the wood worked, and this is the final result:









Want a closer look at those $30 tiles? Here you go:

Clearly, woodworking skills are not genetic. Geekery, however, is alive and well in our household.

9 comments:

Rachel said...

Mmmmmm, I guess im the exact oposite of you mum, 'cause I REALLY love working with the power tools! Especially the ones where you pull a trigger and it makes a loud noise.
Fine. I admit it. I'm a freak. Whatever.
Power tools are NOT scary, they are your friends.

Geek Knitter said...

My husband is a machinist, so he works with power tools even more intimidating than table saws... I have instituted a policy of random finger-counts to ensure that he comes home with exactly as many fingers as I sent him to work with.

Well done Rachel!

Stacy said...

I'm with Rachel - I think power tools are fun. I'm super excited about the soldering torch next week at stain glass class!

Kris said...

Looks like art to me. You still sure the term industrial arts is an oxymoron?

Rachel, you're just like your mother, an artist, only you use different tools. And good on ya. I have trouble putting Ikea furniture together, but when I had to put together 10 crates once for a move, each requiring a multitude of screws, I sure got to appreciate power tools.

Anonymous said...

I believe what we used to call industrial arts is now called "Design Technology". My daughter is a trainee teacher in this subject and also loves power tools as well as textiles which also falls under this term.

Patti from Ottawa said...

THAT is an AWESOME table!!!!

UGG BOOTS said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kathleen Taylor said...

love it! My husband is a carpenter, so power tools are often in our kitchen. And living room. And bathroom. I have a fair familiarity with them, and can use most (and had my own drill press and scroll saw), but deeply respect their ability to lop off fingers.

Good job, Rachel!

Kathleen Taylor said...

love it! My husband is a carpenter, so power tools are often in our kitchen. And living room. And bathroom. I have a fair familiarity with them, and can use most (and had my own drill press and scroll saw), but deeply respect their ability to lop off fingers.

Good job, Rachel!